my-calorie-counter.com    The webs free Weight Loss Diary

Friday, January 26, 2007

The Classics?

Sometimes I'm a little embarrassed by the education I received growing up. Mind you I've done quite well for myself, a BS from Purdue and a Masters from Emory, but why do people always seem a little surprised? I'm talking about middle school and high school. Growing up in rural Indiana the options were limited and I had little parental involvement/encouragement.

So why am I dwelling on events more than 20 years old? I was watching PBS the other night and Jane Eyre was on and I realized I have never read this book? I didn't even know the story line. This isn't the first time this has happened. I haven't read To Kill a Mocking Bird, Catcher in the Rye, For Whom the Bell Tolls, etc. I remember reading some Shakespeare, Hamlet, Romeo & Juliet and MacBeth. My Honors English teacher really like science fiction, we read Vonnegut & Orwell, I also remember reading The Jungle (Sinclair).

It's not that I don't read, anyone who has been to my house will notice there are books everywhere. Most of them are non-fiction, either political musings or provide more information on disease than you would ever want to know.

Where is this leading, well I couldn't stay awake to watch the rest of the movie so I've bought the book and my goal is to sit down and read it.

This is a post-breakup ritual I seem to after every failed relationship...I'm going to 'better' myself. Last time I got half way through The Inferno before I gave up, let's see if I can do better next time.

So here are two list, there are many more out there, of the 100 Best Novels:

http://www.randomhouse.com/modernlibrary/100bestnovels.html

2 comments:

Paulie said...

Well, look who's blogging! I won't tell anyone, unless of course you want me to. :)

Martha said...

Well I guess I wouldn't have put the link up if I wasn't looking for a little attention :)