my-calorie-counter.com    The webs free Weight Loss Diary

Thursday, March 20, 2008

One day at a time...

The news wasn't good today at the vet.

In summary:

an adbominal ultrasound was performed and it revealed a large, cavitary splenic mass. Most likely (80-90%) this is a hemangiosarcoma, along with the mass they found dark spots on his liver (signs that the cancer has metastased) and things do not looke good for my boy. The prognosis with surgery (a splenectomy) is only 2 or 3 months (could be less if the cancer has spread).

I am going to make an appointment with our regular vet to discuss end of life care for my Rubi...I just want him to be happy and comfortable for however long he has left. So tonight he is getting ground turkey for dinner.

Thank you everyone for all your good thoughts we both are very greatful.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh no! I've been checking back for news all day and was really hoping you'd be reporting saying it was a false alarm.

I'm so sorry.

Thinking of you carrying his heavy lump of a frame through shiggy his little legs couldn't cope with so he could enjoy a day out with you makes me smile. He's a great dog.

Hope he has more good moments with you to come and I know you'll make him as loved and comfortable as can be.

NancyT said...

I'm so sorry, Martha. Just think of all the good times and how you made his life special. He is a special dog!