my-calorie-counter.com    The webs free Weight Loss Diary

Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Christmas Thoughts

Here are a few of my thoughts on Christmas, good, bad and ugly.

I've always wanted to have a wonderful Christmas but it has just never happened. I've spent the majority of them alone, as it looks like I will again this year. That being said if you are going to celebrate for fuck sakes do it right.

My new friend LOVES the holidays, he knows I run and bike in the 'hood a lot and he has asked me to keep an eye out for any homes decorated for the holidays that stand out. Normally I don't pay much attention but for him...okay.

What has happened over the past few years? The scenes are dreadful, no style, no elegance...it seems that people toss out a few random inflatable figures and call it a day. Like this -

Lazy holiday decorating

Two Tiggers, two Santas, a Grinch and random white animals?? What the hell??

It almost makes me want to decorate just show how it SHOULD be done.

Pub Crawling

Here is one tradition I can get into. This year will be my 4th year participating and my 1st year as a hare for the AH4 Holiday Pub Crawl. My friends and I will be wandering the streets of East Atlanta Village drinking our holiday cheer. I even heard a sexy, Mrs. Claus will be making an appearance...I wonder if Jangles will show up also...I heard they have a thing going. Shhh don't tell Mr. Claus.

Christmas Stories

A Christmas Story was one of my father's favorite movies. I'm sure he related well to the story of a boy growing up in small town Indiana in the 40s. I just found it strange because that was pretty much the only part of Christmas my father enjoyed. He mood took a deep, downward spiral when the holidays approached. This surely was due to the fact that Dec 24th was my parents wedding anniversary. After my mother's death, Christmas was never, ever the same. It was pretty much ignored by my father and any attempts on my part to keep the spirit alive was met with harsh retribution. Most years we hoped for the Christmas mornings my father, to drunk from the night before, didn't make it home. My sister and I could celebrate in secret, I always made sure she had something in her stocking on Christmas morning. During the not so bad years I might get a check/cash and maybe (if he remembered) a trip to a relative's home for some Christmas dinner.

After years of trying I am just too tired to try anymore.

A Good Christmas?

Christmas day last year was about as good as I has ever been for me. I was very, very upset at Darren that day. He was leaving that day to spend the holidays with friends and not me like he should. I was invited over to my friend Betsy's house for her world famous Tweety Bird Waffles and some perseco. It was a great day, I can't really say it was a great Christmas...there was little that day that reminded me of the holidays, but I felt very lucky that at least I wasn't alone.

No comments: