my-calorie-counter.com    The webs free Weight Loss Diary

Friday, December 14, 2007

Retro night in da 'hood

Tuesday night was like stepping back in time. It was a lot of fun.

A couple of weeks ago I set my mind to expanding my circle of friends and activities. My friends are great and we always have a fun time but I not going to meet 'Mr. Right' hanging out in my back yard drinking a Sunday afternoon away. I found myself settling into a very comfortable rut, that I need to get out of soon.

So after CRHB not calling one night, the stress of the holidays getting to me and a few other things I came to a cross-roads of sort...either I needed to make a change or I was going over the edge. That night I signed up for several meetup groups and vowed to become more involved in the neighborhood.

So on Tuesday night I attended my first EACA pot luck dinner. The fact I knew CRHB was going to be there encouraged my attendance even more. I was a little late, having to deal with the painters at the house, I listened to the police report, voted on some zoning requests and blushed when CRHB saw me and winked. Afterwards dinner was served. We ate together, talked to the neighbors, I bumped into an old hasher...I was then headed across the street to meet Kay (aka Tasty Pie) for a few drinks with her and her mommy friends. CRHB said he would pop over later, he had a few things to do before then. I hung out with the ladies...everyone seemed to know everyone...CRHB stopped by the table, of course knew one the the girls (ATank). He had to go talk to someone else so then we all gossiped about our new 'relationship', they all approved.

It just seemed very small town...in a good way. The community out and about, people going from table to table, checking in on everyone. Very retro in a new urbanism kind of way. It may seem a little silly but I think it is wonderful.

No comments: