my-calorie-counter.com    The webs free Weight Loss Diary

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Mush doggie...

I'm sitting here in my room listening to the pack of sled dogs outside, yes real live sled dogs. Each chained to a small shelter, sitting on a wooden pallet. I'm not a big fan of sled racing, there is a lot of controvery about how the dogs are treated, this is Alaska and this is what these dogs are bred for ... so I am keeping my feelings to myself. It is feeding time right now and they are all worked up. I wish I had remembered to bring the cable for my camera so you could see for yourself.

There are lots of dogs here, mostly roaming lose. There are no leash laws so the mutt just come and go as they please. Most don't seem to fond of people, they have all kept their distances so far. I'm hoping for a photo stroll, if/when the weather clears up a bit.

The weather has been miserable. Rainy, cold, overcast and now the wind has really picked up. I ran yesterday morning and I was able to walk home from dinner last night but otherwise, I've been inside or had to take a taxi. Fingers crossed for tomorrow, I got a tip on a nice trail that runs along the river.

Work has been brutal, the past two days have been 10+ hours, with just a small break for lunch. There is a cafeteria at the hospital, fair on a good day. Maybe tomorrow I can make it to the store for some extra rations. My co-workers and I stayed in this evening, we made tuna sandwiches and fruit salad. To be honest I wasn't feeling like going out tonight, the restaurants are pretty shabby and you can't get a drink, so I was happy to save most of my per deim for today.

Speaking of work, it seems to be going well. My co-workers seemed pleased with the rate and substance of the work I'm doing, along with being entertained with my pleasant personality ;-)
I can't imagine I will be this busy next week...with any luck I'll have some time off to go exploring and picture taking.

It is still early, only 8:15 but I'm still on Atlanta time, I'm going to try to stay up a little longer but I'm beat.

If I don't get completely frustrate with this painfully slow internet connection I'll write more tomorrow.

Night everyone!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

how many hours of sunlight is there? do you just have really dark curtains in your room?

Martha said...

I haven't stayed up yet long enough to see the sunset. I went to bed last night around 10:30 and the sun was still up, it is day break now. I guess about 19 hours or so of day light. The windows are small and don't let a lot of light in anyway, the curtains take care of the rest.