my-calorie-counter.com    The webs free Weight Loss Diary

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Sutset in Bethel

I was having a hard time turning of the lights and going to bed last night, at one point I saw it was 11:30 and I figured I might as well stay up and watch the sunset. It was totally worth it.




It was pink and blue and orange...pretty amazing to see. I couldn't get the perfect view because the ONE tree here in Bethel was blocking my view from the porch. I ventured out into the yard but was attacked my the giant, local mosquitoes. If it isn't raining you have to deal with these blood thirsty critters.

Today will be another slow work day for me. My colleagues are pouring over medical charts so there is little for me to do in the way of data checks/quality. I've been working on my programs for the end of the week, I need to remove all the dates (protocol states we can not take these back to Atlanta) and merge all the datasets. I've also just been documenting my programs, trying to think back to what we did over the last 10 days. So mostly busy work.

I left early yesterday and meandered home from the hospital. I walked about 5 miles yesterday and I'm hoping for at least that much today. I stopped off at the local art gallery, it was finally open. Not much in the way of native crafts, mostly photos. There were a couple of things that caught my eye, I may have to go back for something.

I stopped of at the Yukon Kuskokwim Wildlife Refuge yesterday, I was disappointed. It was one room filled with mostly dead, stuffed animals. The 'bookstore' was closed (it was a closet with some postcards) and there was nothing else to see. You need a plane to see most of the wildlife, there are birds around Bethel but little else.

Today I will try to check out the boat harbor, Moravian bookstore (for more local crafts) and the local cultural center (if it is open). Posted business hours seem to be more of a suggestion that a hard and fast rule around here. I assume it is because this is fishing season, most of the local still depend on fishing and hunting to supplement their diet. Most head out down the river to fish camps for up to a month at a time, to fish and process the food for the coming year. I guess when the weather is nice they have to take full advantage of it.

Well off to breakfast and getting my day started.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

*poke*

I keep getting sorely disappointed when I check here for updates. *pout*