my-calorie-counter.com    The webs free Weight Loss Diary

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

The Not-So-Great White North

What does -5 + 17 + 3 + my family = ? One very bored Laura.

Yes I've spent the last several days back home in Indiana. It was -5 degrees the first morning, 17 inches of snow on the ground and 3 more inches fell the second night. My family isn't exactly the active type so a lot of time was spent sitting around watching TV and wandering the Mall. The only saving grace was, for the first time, I got a hotel room to run away to when things got to be too much.

Babies and such

The reason for my visit was my first introduction to little Olivia Mae Walton, my second niece.




To be honest babies aren't really my thing. I held her a little and fed her once and that was enough for me. I much prefer it when they get a little older and can start interacting. My other niece Elise is 5 and she is a hoot. My sister asked if I thought Elise was feeling jealous or neglected because of the new baby and I told her no, Elise is quite sure the world revolves around her and no new baby is going to change that.

You can't go home again

I did spend sometime on Sunday visiting campus (Purdue). Boy, things have changed (it has been over 10 years). They redeveloped the part of town called the Levee. It use to consist of an old Sears and limit access to a 'park' and by park I mean a strip of green next to the river. It now has a real park, a movie theater and more than a dozen new resturants. Many of the old business where still there, Nick's where I use to go for .10 pitchers on Wednesday night, the grocery store where I work while in school, Jake's where on my 23rd birthday I fell on the floor and told everyone I was a turtle and I couldn't get up (did I mention I was drinking). Some places had changed most notably Garcia's Pizza (it was god awful) had changed hands and it's look. The coolest thing about the place was it was huge and had many different levels. Now it is called Hop Box Pizza and the entire upstairs is gone (I don't know where it went) but the pizza was pretty good and I noticed my favorite, 3am the bars have closed resturant was gone. They have another location on the other side of town so I wandered over and grabbed my steak and chrizo burrito and two roasted pork tacos, it was yummy but I couldn't move for awhile.

All in all I felt really old and somewhat out of place wandering around.

Old boyfriends never die

My sisters new boss just happends to be an old boyfriend of mine. We dated some time around my freshmen year in college. It didn't last long and we manged to stay on good terms. That being said I had no desire to see him after almost 20 years (god did I just type 20 years???). My sister kept asking me if I wanted to go see him, it was kind of werid.

The Midwestern Diet takes its toll

I was pleasently suprised today when I got on the scale and it was only 1 pound more than when I left. I did get a few work outs in while at the hotel but I also ate constantly since there was little else to do (see above burrito comment). My sister is a big fan of meat, potatoes, cheese and butter. I ate more fat in 2 meals there than I probably do in a week here. My GI track it happy to be back home.

Somehow I did manage to go the whole visit without a drink...but I am in need of one now!!!

No comments: